Saturday 4 September 2010

What do you want to do today ?

Well we arrived in Bangor (actually Ballyholmes YC) last night after running away from the increasing strong South Easterlies which were impeding our progress south through the North Channell and south generally. The forecast is for them to stay for at least 3 days so our decision to run to port was good.
However, we have decided to adjust the passage plan radically and revert to plan B (or is that Z) i.e. a clock wise circumnavigation. We leave to travel north (hooray) this morning and have abandonded the non stop theme for obvious reasons and intend to stop in Oban by Sunday night via Islay, Iona and Mull. Keith has a job interview on Tuesday so we will have a day off then.
My time off work is rapidly depleting so I won't be able to complete this entire passage but hope to jump ship at Aberdeen or Edinburgh and travel home via Gourock to pick up my car - best laid plans of men and other small rodents blah blah blah.
Looking back, a lot of my adventures with KP tend to be epics and this has not dissapointed, so is this why I (we) do it ? - a total break from predictability and the opportunity to sort and fix problems (as if I don't have enough already) on the fly. I guess I love it really, (note to self : just don't get your hopes up about anything much - things turn out Ok eventually) and of course, the journey can be very exciting. So is that it? is it just the journey and not the destination. There are many routes possible from A to B and the important bit is the 'to', without losing sight of, or losing respect for B. So, I don't know what will happen over the next few days, I know the destination and I have a plan and part of that plan is that there is no plan. Good morning everyone, what do you want to do today ?

1 comment:

Jill Best said...

I asked Ali before you set off why you were not going in a clockwise direction...and I thought it was only women who changed their minds all the time? Enjoy your days sailing..the obvious reasons for stopping would be the local hospitality?...Ali I'll speak to you soon..love Mum and John x