Monday 6 September 2010

After the gale

I write having just gone through a gale. Progress was good until Colonsay but then with the wind hard against us it has been a long slog and we are now 12 miles off Oban. The wind has dropped and the crew are busy shaking out a reef and I am at the chart table. Earlier Iain decided to go onto the fordeck for reasons I did not understand at the time. After a few minutes I heard shouting and promptly went to join him. On reaching him I found him on his hands and knees messing with some rope. I got down to join him and suddenly found myself joining in the shouting as I too then found myself being immersed in waves with water running down my kneck, up my arms and oh joy up my legs. I too had found myself in the same predicament. Iain then suggested that maybe we ought to start ripping up £20 notes as sailing is often equated to standing in the shower ripping up said items. Since then things have been steady although we did notice that we have lost a bucket over the side so people will now have to use the heads!

Last night was very dark and we did find a cruise ship getting a little too close for comfort so in time old tradition I put the torch in the sails. This normally has a good effect but not so then and a little alteration of course was required. Still tea was interesting with the sausage caserole I made with Theakston beer. It had clearly fermented somewhat and the bag was ready for exploding.

People suggested that I bring some books to read on this trip. Oh only if there were time. Things break and need fixing on a regular basis, sails need changing, navigation to be done and food to be prepared. Now and again we get a little sleep but not much and not often. However if you want to clear your head I can highly recommend a good gale to do it. It will shake the living daylights out of you and low and behold it is clear.

The loosing of electrical equipment goes on and on. Years ago you came sailing with a jumper now there are all manor of gadgets that folk have. I counted nine things on charge yesterday, but will they all stay in the same place, never!

Just as I end this entry the sun has come out and is beaming down into the cabin, wonderful. Tonights special mention is to Mark Sumner a true gentleman and thoroughly good diver, take it easy Mark.

A good evening to you all and may your week be a good one and if not there is always red wine and a good party on Friday.

Take care, Keith.

No comments: