Wednesday 1 September 2010

The night before we go

Well it feels like it has been months of work on the boat for her to be ready for such a venture and it seems years since anything on this scale was done. I had decided at the beginning of the year to take the engine out and not replace it. Many if not all said I was mad but so far so good. The benefit of not smelling diesel and spending hours fixing and servicing the damn thing for me far outway the convenience. Years before I would worry about the engine failing as it often did and then all the stress of rapidly getting back under sail and doing manouvres that I had not done in a while. Now it all feels more controlled, more seamanlike and believe it or not less hassle.  Although the decision to go round Britain again but now to try it non stop, was taken only a week ago there has been so much work done before this moment. These last hours before departure make me think about what we are attempting to do and why we are doing it. There are no more jobs to do just the getting on with it now. Today we have had a change to our plan in that we are now joined by Alasdair from Gourock which takes us to a crew of three. This means hopefully a little more sleep each! No locker has any space even the toilet roll is now squashed in next to the rich tea biscuits oh and my sleeping bag. We have established a drinks locker in the form of a portable fridge that unfortunately cannot be turned on as it drains too much power but at least gives the look of an inviting drink. Ipods are now on board which is great but means I finally have to take off my favourite cd of Amy MacDonald which I have been listening for some time now but the crew are getting tired of to say the least. The vacuum packing of food seems good so far but one bag has already exploded, fortunately not in the locker.
So tomorrow lunch time seems to be the new departure time. It will be so good to at last take Rough Diamond out on another one of our many adventures together but I am not looking forward to pulling up the fifty metres of chain and two anchors that I put out, oh well another four pound saved from the gym! Thanks for everyone who has supported in us and we will keep you all posted on progress as we go round. Cheers all Keith.

No comments: